Wednesday, April 20, 2011

04-20-2011 Run

Saw Doc today, he claims that most likely I need two procedures done. An adducter release, and Sports Hernia surgery. Both are relatively simple procedures. The sports hernia is basically grafting mesh onto a tear that I have. The one that scares me is the adducter release, they cut the tendon off of the bone where it meets the groin. Apparently a lot of athletes including high level runners have it done and the success rate is over 95%. It just freaks me out to have a tendon "released". Recovery time is about 6 to 8 weeks, so not really that bad. I have to run really hard this week, to try and get it flared up really bad so I can then go back to see him next Wednesday for a final diagnosis.

If all goes well, I might be able to have the surgery done before I go back to Oregon so I can get on the road to recovery.

3 comments:

  1. at least you have an answer now and know what to expect. Is it worth getting another opinion? Doctors are kinda like car mechanics, sometimes they just have to take guesses at the problem and see if the repair works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, this is actually the 4th doctor plus two physical therapists. He seems to have a pretty good idea of what will fix it, but ya I wish he could be 100% sure. He seems like pretty much the top doctor I can find for this sort of thing. He is Team Dr for Vikings, and works with several other teams and Olympic programs. I trust him for the most part, I just have to make myself do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That assducter release sounds horrific. Good luck on making it flare up this week. I'm sure back to back half marathons should help you out. Way better than my weak ass 12K and sprint tri back to back. Do you have to go back out to Oregon soon? I liked your idea of using Jason as a sherpa, but I'm not sure he could cycle 10K/hour.

    ReplyDelete